Do you find yourself dreading the thought of trying to hire a website or design pro? It can be confusing, for sure. Everyone uses similar words to describe the services they provide… but how do you know (REALLY know) whether or not you’ve hired the right person for the job?
Here are a few tips (I’ll list them below for convenience). I’ve included them with a website checklist that you can download and print out as you’re thinking about the features & functionality you want for your website. The checklist is not exhaustive, but it’s intended to be a starting point for a conversation with your web pro when you are ready to undertake a site (re)design.
Tips for Hiring a Web or Design Pro
DO choose someone who:
- Listens carefully and asks thoughtful questions
- Who takes the time to see the “big picture” of your business and goals, rather than just the project at hand
- Is highly recommended by others
- Is experienced in the areas you need assistance in
- Has a personality that meshes with your own
- Shares advice and respectfully challenges you, but also is open to your advice
- Has a clear process and workflow to keep your project organized
- Takes the time to explain things to you
- Is genuinely passionate about what they do
DO NOT choose someone who:
- Appears arrogant and “knows-it-all”
- Seems to use the same look for every single project they complete
- Does not pay attention to detail
- Uses outdated design techniques
- Makes grandiose promises that seem too good to be true
- Charges substantially less than other bids you have received
- Charges substantially more than other bids you have received
- Is not willing to comply with your wishes with regard to domain ownership or hosting
Remember… listen to your gut. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.